Some students may already have access to qualifying health insurance coverage. To waive the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), students must provide proof of qualifying coverage through MySlice annually by the published deadline.
For fall 2018, the deadline to waive is September 17, 2018. After September 17, 2018, only prorated refunds will be available.
Qualifying coverage is defined as follows:
- Provided by a U.S.-based insurer*
- Covers emergency and non-emergency services in the Syracuse area
- Compliant with all aspects of the Affordable Care Act (ACA)
Please note, most New York State Essential Plan tiers do not meet our requirements. Please email the Student Health Insurance Office if you have questions.
*Insurance carriers or their subsidiaries outside the 50 U.S. states or coverage by foreign National Health Services programs are not acceptable under this criterion. Some of these plans may advertise that they are ACA-compliant and provide a U.S. address; however, many are not filed and approved in the U.S., which is required to be accepted as alternate qualifying coverage.
If you are currently enrolled in an out-of-New York State or New York City Medicaid plan, please email the Student Health Insurance Office.
Qualifying Coverage Considerations
Here are some required standards:
- Carrier is licensed to do business in the U.S., has a U.S. phone number, and a U.S. claims payment office.
- Does not have waiting periods prior to providing coverage for pre-existing conditions.
- Does not have exclusions for mental health disorders, pre-existing conditions, pregnancy and pregnancy-related treatment, and drug and alcohol-related conditions.
- Coverage is duration of the academic year or until the academic program end
*Please note, the spring 2018 deadline to waive was February 6, 2018. For those that were eligible in the spring 2018 semester, after February 6, only prorated refunds will be available.